Scientists at the University of Oxford are developing a computer model that will forecast the environmental risks to Britain’s coastline for decades ahead. This will be of immense value to local authority planning departments.
The general public are being called to take part in an Oxford University research project to find out what role climate change played in the UK’s record-breaking wet winter.
Houses should be redesigned, roads raised and tidal lagoons built that generate energy to reduce the impact of flooding in the UK, according to a panel of senior engineers and academics, reported in the Guardian.
Water and energy in Brazil
About 5% of the Brazilian population live in the northeast corner of the country. They share the same language, culture, institutions, education and political system as the other 95%. Yet, they have by far the lowest per capita income. What really differentiates this region from the rest of the country is hydrological variability. How to mitigate this problem?
About 10% of the Brazilian population live in the north part of the country, in the Amazon River basin, where new power plants are being built to tap the energy from the mighty rivers and transmit it to large urban centers, located thousands of kilometres away. What is the trade-off between the energy benefits that accrue to the majority of the population and the environmental and social impacts that affect local people, including indigenous populations?